The best broadcast spreaders are used by most homeowners and professionals for fertilizing, spreading the seed, and ice melt.
A Quick Glance at Our Top 5 Best Broadcast Spreaders
|Earthway 2170 100 Lb Rustproof Broadcast Fertilizer Spreader||
||Check on Amazon|
|Agri-Fab 45-0462 Push Broadcast Spreader||
||Check on Amazon|
|Scotts 76232 EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader||
||Check on Amazon|
|Anderson Yard Star Walk Behind Broadcast Spreader||
||Check on Amazon|
|Agri-Fab 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader||
||Check on Amazon|
Best Commercial Broadcast Spreader: Earthway 2170 100 Lb Rustproof Broadcast Fertilizer Spreader
- Even spread technology
- Engineered for accuracy
- Preferred by turf scientist
- Super duty gearbox
- Pneumatic tires that won’t flat
- Durable coated frame
- Adjustable handle
- Large hopper capacity
- Assembly require
- Not recommended to spread peat moss
Earthway Even Commercial Spreader with its high-speed gearbox that helps maintaining large areas with great accuracy that lasts a lifetime. The 3-hole drop system makes it easier for an even spread pattern.
The side spread controls save the product and prevent the granules from getting scattered into non-lawn areas such as patios, flower beds, and driveways by blocking the right side.
Its large hopper can hold up to 100 pounds of product enough to cover a large area. With its 13 inches pneumatic tires, steel frame, and adjustable handle length, it is easy to cover a lot of ground no matter the size of your lawn.
The super-duty enclosed commercial-grade gearbox stands up to years of heavy-duty use. The hardware is specifically engineered to rustproof no matter what products are being applied. It measures 37 x 30 x 40 inches and weighs 25 pounds.
Earthway heavy-duty walk behind push garden spreader with its adjustable drop rate, driving handle, and 3-hole drop system makes the process easy and even. The pneumatic tires and durable frame and large hopper help in large-area application.
Best Push Broadcast Spreader: Agri-Fab 45-0462 Push Broadcast Spreader
- Large hopper capacity 130 pounds
- Pneumatic tires won’t get flat
- Direct rod control system
- Rustproof poly-hopper
- Easy to use and assemble
- Precise rod flow control
- Heavy duty gearbox
- 3 years warranty
- Not recommended to use with powdered chemicals
- Periodic maintenance required
Agri- Fab 130-pound broadcast spreader with its easy set flow control and adjustable stop allows you to apply the precise amount of product. The professional broadcast spreader work best in fertilizing, weed control, seed, and other granule products.
The smooth-rolling enclosed commercial-grade gearbox stands up to years of heavy-duty use. The hardware is specifically engineered to resist corrosion no matter what products are being applied.
The extra-large hopper can hold up to 130 pounds of product enough to cover up to 25,000 square feet or about half an acre. With its pneumatic tires, it is easy to cover a lot of ground no matter the size of your lawn.
Agri-Fab is known for tough tools which are engineered to be both fast and easy to assemble.
Now Agri fab offers the video instruction guide from opening the box to fertilizing the lawn. It measures 48 x 27.1 x 33.6 inches and weighs 35 pounds. Not recommended to use for powdered lawn chemicals.
Agri-Fab broadcast spreader is perfect for spreading fertilizers, seeds, and salts. The precision rod control and pneumatic tires make the application process easy and the big hopper covers a large area that will save your time.
Scotts 76232 EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader
- Precision rate setting
- Uniform coverage of granule products
- Prevents product from spreading in non-lawn areas
- Deliver more accurate coverage
- Large hopper capacity
- Ready to use
- Covers up to 15,000 sq. ft.
- Plastic material
- Ineffective wheel design
Scott’s Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast work great for fertilizer, seed, and salt. The larger hopper capacity can hold up to 15,000 sq. ft. of product. It will save time for refill the spreader again and again during the application.
The spreader comes assembles and pre-calibrated. You did not spend time assembling and calibrating. You can get straight to work with this ready-to-use machine. Its control panel precision rate setting gives more accurate results and more coverage.
Its edge-guard technology saves the product and prevents the granules from getting scattered into a non-lawn area such as patios, flower beds, and driveways by blocking the right side. So, this lightweight spreader made the process easier and both save time and money. It measures 19 x 22 x 22 inches and weighs 10.9 pounds.
Many users complained about the hollow wheels on the spreader which filled up with product during the application.
To fix the issue, take the left wheel off (depress the two little buttons and slide the wheel off the axle), then press an 8″ aluminum pie plate against the hub to make an imprint.
Cut out the hole, slide the pie plate (curved AWAY from the wheel) and wheel back on the axle. Then use a mallet to gently pound the pie plate flat enough so that it clears the bearing, and you have created a cover for the inside of the wheel.
Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast spreader can be used to spread fertilizer, seed, salt, and melt ice. Its control panel precision setting and edgeguard technology deliver accurate results and save the product to scatter in non-lawn areas. Best broadcast spreader for the small to medium lawn.
Best Walk Behind Broadcast Spreader: Anderson Yard Star Walk Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 3-hole drop shut off system
- 50 pounds hopper capacity
- 2 position height adjustable handle
- 13 inches pneumatic tires that won’t flat
- Provides even distribution on all terrain
- All weather usage
- Adjustable drop rate
- Allows 6 inches overlap
- Assembly require
- For small to medium area
The Anderson Yard Start with its 3-hole drop system and adjustable drop rate provides precision and even spreading patterns. Its 50 pounds large hopper capacity and 175 pounds load-bearing capacity saves time to refill during the application and works great for fertilizer, weed control, seed, and salt.
The adjustable agronomical handle, 13 inches large pneumatic tires, and wide-set frame provide an even spreading pattern on all terrain and comfort for the applicator. To apply, walk back and forth at a normal speed and it allows 6 inches of overlap on each turn.
The bin is thick and beefy. It’s perfect in size, allowing it to hold enough fertilizers or herbicides.
The spray is wide, and even. However, don’t walk too fast, or you will send those fertilizers flying pretty far.
Make sure to clean the spreader after application. And apply lubricants for smooth operation. It measures 24.75 x 16.25 x 15.12 inches and weighs 26.9 pounds.
The Anderson Yard spreader with its 3 hole-drop and adjustable drop rate gives an even spread pattern and rapid application. An adjustable handle and 13 inches pneumatic tires make the process easy to all terrains. Hopper and compatibility allow all-weather usage.
Best Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader: Agri-Fab 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
- 130 pounds hopper capacity
- 10-12 ft. spread width
- 13″ x 4″ large pneumatic Tires
- Enclosed gearbox
- Universal fir hitch
- Hopper cover grate & deflector kit
- 25,000 sq. ft. coverage
- Even spreading and long life
- Optional hopper cover
- Some assembly require
- Not recommended for small area
Spreading lawn care products just got a whole lot easier with the Agri-Fab 130 pound tow spreader. Its easy set flow control with an adjustable stop allows you to apply the precise amount of product to your lawn.
Essential for professional results in fertilizing, weed control, seed, and other product applications. The smooth-rolling enclosed commercial-grade gearbox stands up to years of heavy-duty use and the hardware is specifically engineered to resist corrosion no matter what products are being applied.
The extra-large hopper can hold up to 130 pounds of product enough to cover up to 25,000 square feet or about half an acre. With the 13″ x 4″ large pneumatic wheels and universal tow hitch, it’s easy to cover a lot of ground. No matter what brand of lawn tractor you have.
The enclosed gearbox prevents disrupting activity. And it’s on/off direct rod control accessible from the tractor seat made the process easy.
Agri-Fab is known for tough tools which are engineered to be both fast and easy to assemble. Now Agri-Fab offers the video instruction guide from opening the box to fertilizing the lawn. The video will show you what to do and when to do it. It just shows how easy and fast to assemble the product.
Agri-Fab tow broadcast spreader provides great accuracy and maneuverability with its enclosed gearbox and durable rod link. The large pneumatic tires and hopper capacity save time to refill when fertilizing the larger lawn.
Best Broadcast Spreader Buyer’s Guide
A definitive guide will help you in selecting the best broadcast spreader for your lawn.
Why Broadcast Spreader?
Broadcast spreaders work great if you have a large area to spread fertilizer, weed control, salt, and seed. Most broadcast spreaders are designed to spread fertilizers more than 4 feet. The broadcast spreader uses rotary plates to disperse seeds and fertilizers.
Rotary spreaders are the best tools to scatter dry granules but it spread less accurately and are not recommended to fertilize small areas. Broadcast spreaders come in a variety of sizes, qualities, and capabilities. So, you can buy according to your lawn.
Things to Consider Before Buying the Broadcast Spreader
Size and Shape of Your Lawn
The spreader comes in varieties, sizes, spread width, and ranges. Always buy the spreader that fits best according to the size and shape of your lawns.
Types of Broadcast Spreader
There are types of broadcast spreaders. Walk-behind, tow, and handheld spreader. Walk-behind spreaders are the best for medium to large lawn areas. Tow spreaders work best for treating a large areas. And handheld spreaders are best for small area of lawn.
Mode of Operation
Broadcast spreader are precise and rapid in operation. They have large hopper and maintain balance between speed and precision. They are mostly use for treating large area because they can cover the area 3 times of their width.
Knowing the holding capacity is important. Because it determines how much area you want to fertilize. Broadcast spreader usually have large hopper capacity.
How to Care Broadcast Spreader?
How to Calibrate Broadcast Spreader?
Using a broadcast spreader is one of the best ways you can take care of your lawn. But while spreading material is simple and easy it can be difficult to know exactly how much product you’re putting down?
Taking the time to calibrate your spreader properly will let you know what settings to use? To apply the correct amount of product on your lawn, ensuring accurate coverage every time.
Things You’ll Need
- Granular fertilizer
- Tape/ scale
Steps to Follow
- Since, different products granules can vary greatly in size. It is best to calibrate the spreader with every product. Used a scale and a bucket to weigh the product. A tape measure and chalk or marking paint. A calculator and a broom.
- Now, let’s get started to begin refer to your product packaging to see how much material is needed to cover a 1,000 square feet.
- Then measure the effective swath width of the spreader. Spreaders drop rate are affected by the walking speed of the person pushing it. Someone, walking faster will spread wider and have a wider effective swath than someone who walks slower regardless of speed.
- A consistent pace is key add enough product to the spreader hopper for a short run along the test area. Set the spreader to the middle setting and start spreading at a normal speed walking far enough for a consistent swath of product to be visible on the ground.
- To find the effective width measure between the two points where the product begins to thin. Empty the spreader to clear any remaining material from the hopper.
- Next, divide a thousand square feet by the swath width. To find how long the test run should be pushing our spreader. This distance should put down just the right amount of material to be effective as indicated by the product packaging.
- Now, measure and mark start and end lines for the test run. Weigh out a few pounds of product using the bucket and scale recording the weight. Pour the product into the hopper with the spreader.
- Still at the middle setting, begin the test run between the lines that were just marked off. Be sure, to give enough space to get a consistent pace before crossing the start line.
- Once, past the end line close the hopper. Then pour out and weigh the remaining product. Subtracting this from the original amount. This is how much material was spread. Compare this amount to the suggested output on the product packaging.
If the result is higher or lower adjust the spreader gate and re-test until the correct settings are dialed.